The flowers in Stampin' Up!'s "Flowers of Friendship" stamp set is easy to use as outlines as featured HERE or to colour as shown below. Make beautiful cards by adding just a hint of colour to the flower images. Coastal Cabana is a such a pretty and cheerful colour! It suits my daughter, Leah, perfectly. This card was given to her to congratulate her on her recent profession of faith at church. A bright card for a happy occasion!
To design the card, start with your favourite piece of patterned paper. I chose a pattern from Stampin' Up!'s Pattern Party 12 x12 Designer Series Paper. Choose your favourite colour from the patterned paper to use for the flowers. I used the stitched greenery die for the background but an embossing folder would also work very well. The white baker's twine adds a little something without being too fancy like ribbon may be.
To colour the "Flowers of Friendship" stamp, I used watercolour pencils. The instructions I provide below include Stampin' Blends. Both work and have pros and cons. The watercolour pencils blend beautifully using a just a touch of water or a blender pen. I used white shimmer paper as it does not pill or curl as easily as basic white cardstock. Shimmer paper is my favourite paper to use when colouring! Watercolouring gives a more muted colour. It is important to not use too much water. To add some brightness, I pencilled over the coloured in flowers when they were almost dry.
Using Blends markers is easier and gives stronger, more bold colour. I recommend adding only a small amount of the dark shade and then blending with the light tone. You can also lighten up the colours by using the color lifter.
Give yourself permission to play with various colouring mediums and see what you like best! Be sure to let me know in the comments your favourite medium for colouring and to save the card recipe below.
Flowers of Friendship Card
- Flowers of Friendship stamp set
- Thick Basic White: cardstock
- Coastal Cabana cardstock
- Shimmer White cardstock
- Pattern Party 12”x12” designer series paper (hostess)
- Memento Tuxedo Black ink pad
- Granny Apple Green Stampin’ Blends combo pack markers
- Bermuda Bay Stampin’ Blends combo pack markers
Cut paper to the following sizes:
- Thick Basic White: 5 ½“ x 8 ½“ scored at 4 ¼“ and folded in half for card front
- Coastal Cabana: 4 x 5 ¼“
- Shimmer White: 4 x 2 ¾ “
- Pattern Party Designer Series Paper: 3½” x 4 ½”
Stamp and Assembly:
- Align the Coastal Cabana layer with the Stitched Greenery die and run through the Stampin’ Cut and Emboss machine. Adhere to the Thick Basic White card front.
- Adhere the Pattern Party designer series paper to the front of card as shown.
- Stamp flower image several times across the Shimmer White piece with the Memento Tuxedo Black ink. Feel free to go off the edge and not stamp in a perfect line.
- Add hints of colour with the Bermuda Bay and Granny Apple Green Stampin’ Blends.
- Tie white twine around the bottom of the Shimmer White piece and adhere to the designer series paper with Stampin’ Dimensionals.
Leave a Reply